Do you want to do less so you can focus your time and energy in 2020 on what really matters?
As we approach the end of the year, many of my clients are talking about how they want to do less, so that they have time to do the work that’s really important to them. If 2019 was about expansion and exploring possibilities, they want 2020 to be about setting limits and making commitments.
If this resonates with you, I hope as you plan for the year ahead, you’ll think about what you need to do and what you need to let go of to make your Big Vision real.
Below are some journal questions to help you create your 2020 to do and do less lists.
1. What is my Big Vision for my work in 2020? Let yourself dream here.
2. Given my time, energy, financial resources, and skills at this time, what are the most important 1-3 Big Vision milestones I want to achieve by the end of 2020?
3. What do I need to do to reach these milestones? Do a big brain dump of ideas.
4. When do the actions and ideas from #3 need to happen in 2020? Place them in monthly, or seasonal to-do lists. They don’t have to be perfect. Just give it your best guess.
5. What’s on my 2020 do less list? What projects, commitments, habits, and ways of doing things do I need to let go of to reach my 2020 Big Vision milestones?
6. What else can I remove from my monthly, or seasonal to do lists so that I can fully commit to my Big Vision for my work in the world in 2020?
If you tend towards overworking and overdoing, creating a pared down plan for 2020 might make you feel uncomfortable. This isn’t unusual. Being busy and doing a lot can become a part of our identity and contribute to our sense self worth. Sometimes just the feeling of stillness and quiet that comes from not doing as much can make us feel uneasy— but that doesn’t mean it isn’t worth trying.
The point of creating a to do and a do less list is to help you achieve the things that are the most important to you at a sustainable pace. As the little paper at the end of my teabag said while I wrote this post:
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.Lao Tzu
If you’d like help creating your 2020 Big Vision Action plan, I’d love to work together.
Commit to your Big Vision
Receive the Big Vision blog & e-news in your in-box + a FREE Big Vision, Small Steps worksheet. JOIN.
Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash
One thought on “Do less and more in 2020: Let go and commit.”
This is a smart list. I will work the list. Thanks.